I’m obsessed with Mexican food at the moment and was thrilled when I saw that this recipe was going to be part of our Mindful Chef subscription box for the week. Mindful Chef is a recipe subscription box that delivers all the ingredients you need for healthy meals at home. We’ve been receiving boxes for a while and love that it saves me all the menu planning and shopping time and reduces food waste. Coming up with delicious and healthy weekly menus for a family of 5 can be both time consuming and expensive so these boxes are truly appreciated in our home!
The fresh corn, tomato and onion salsa is perfect for the warm weather while the chicken provided the heartiness and kick that I love about Mexican food. Bonus: unlike most Mexican dishes, this one’s very light on carbs and oil, making it a wholesome healthy dish that our whole family enjoyed.
Prep and cook time: 30 minutes
Calories per serving: 605
Macros: Protein 41g, Carbs 48g, Fat 27g
2 x 150g chicken thighs
100g sweetcorn (drained)
120g cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
2 tsp Cajun spice or mustard
6 tsp ground almonds or nuts
80g brown rice
Large handful of fresh coriander
Sea salt and pepper to taste
Coconut or olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C and boil a kettle.
2. Rinse the brown rice and place in a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins, until cooked.
3. Place the ground almonds in a bowl with the Cajun spice and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Ina a separate bowl put 1 tbsp oil.
4. Slice the chicken thighs in half and place each piece into the oil, then into the spiced ground almond mix to lightly coat the chicken. Place the chicken on a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray in the over for 20-25 mins until the chicken is cooked through and turning golden.
5. To make the sweetcorn salsa, finely dice the onion and finely chop the tomatoes. Roughly chop the coriander and drain the sweetcorn. In a small bowl, mix the sweetcorn with the tomatoes, onion, half of the coriander and half of the lime juice.
6. Drain the brown rice and mix with the remaining coriander.
7. Serve the crispy chicken alongside the coriander brown rice and the sweetcorn salsa. Drizzle with the remaining lime juice.
What's your favourite family-friendly healthy recipe?